HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Great stand, bad luck!!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2002, 10:55 AM
Allen Denton
Nontypical Buck

Default Great stand, bad luck!!!!

I drew a stand Wed. in a small field 50 yards away from the swamp that runs near my huntclub. The dogs ran in there all afternoon long and nothing crossed the field. I had already told myseldf that I was going to stay there until dark no matter what the weather did. About 4:00 the two other guys left the field that were near me and it started to ice. At about 4:30 a doe bounced out and I told myself if the dogs follow her I would catch the dogs and call it a day. The dogs came out on her I caught them and and I was returning from my truck to get my seat a huge buck was standing in the field about 100 yards away. He saw me before I saw him and all I could do was watch him run the length of teh field and go back into the swamp. I knew if I stayed there long enough a buck would cross, I just was not ready. The buck would have costed me money because it looked to be bigger then the buck I got last year, 140 class 8 point. I could tell at 100 yards that this deer this year was at least 20 wide and 13 to 15 tall with good mass. There is always tomorrow.