HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - wood vs. synthetic
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Duckbutter48
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: wood vs. synthetic

Yes if bedded and floated properly it takes the problem of warping away. The whole purpose of floating the barrel is that if the wood warps it still doesnt touch barrel. Same basic thing with bedding the action. It keeps thing in place no matter what the wood does.

I have all 3 types and think different guns and situations call for different stocks.
I likethe nice heavy Laminate on my 300wby and my 22-250 since I dont really use them as carry guns thru the woods since I have better calibers more suited for that job. I usually use those as stand guns or set up for ground hogs.

I like synthetic on my stainless Encore because its the gun I take out no matter what the weather is and usually during MLoader season it seems like the weather gets crappy. Plus I take it on hunting trips so even if it pours rain all day its easy to clean.

I like wood on the guns I could stare at all day like my A-bolts and on guns that I use for walking thru the woodshuntingsince they just feel better when you shoulder them in a hurry. Just my 2 cents.