HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hoyt Vectrix=Pain to tune?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Campo

Default Hoyt Vectrix=Pain to tune?

Well, this weekend was total hell for me. It started off well...kinda
My Vectrix came in last Thursday. Saturday morning I was at the shop bright and early to setup.
All was going well, I liked the feel and I loved the draw cycle...very nice.
Then, we began to put it through paper. This is where the issues began. We were getting about a 1/2" nock high tear, so we adjusted the rest. This made a small difference, and left us with a 1/4" nock high tear. This was as close as we got. We tried everything, we reset and put on new tied nocks, we adjusted the rest, we even took everything off and started over....still, the same 1/4" nock high tear.
We then began to suspect a cam timing issue, so we gave the cable a few twists. The tear got alot better, but I started to notice the tell tale signs of a twisted cable...higher draw #, less letoff, and on hell of a small valley. We added 5 more twists, and the bow was shooting PERFECT bulletholes...but here is the problem.
All the features I like about the bow are gone with the twisted cable. The letoff is really low, the draw seems really stiff, and the valley isnt there at all. If I relax at fulldraw even a little, she wants to jump and let an arrow fly. Basically, she is shooting bulletholes, but I dont want to shoot it like this.
I should also note we didnt twist the string at all, since I had run out of time the owner told me to take it home, blank bale shoot it for a week, let it settle in, then come back and we can start over. He even said it might be possible to twist the string a little to get the draw to be a little shorter so I might have less of a problem at full draw.
With that all said, I was also wondering if a 1/4" nock high tear is that big of a deal. It was a fairly consistent tear, and the owner said he liked how the arrow was going into the target...I am just anal retentive about tuning, and love a perfect bullethole everytime. All suggestions would be great!!!!!
Also, I used four different kinds of arrow in the same legnth, so I dont think it is a spine issue, all were tearing about the same.
Here are the specs for the setup as it is NOW
Hoyt Vectrix, 27" @ 65.5#
Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 250's.
NAP 2000 Dropaway
String loop, serving nocks, and a Tru Ball Illuminator release.
Any and all advice please...I want to tune this bow so it fits me perfect, but I want to have that draw I love with the letoff and valley I loved too.
Thanks in advance all.
Have a nice one.

Ps...Asides from these issues, I liked the Vectrix more than the Drenaline.