HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shot Size
Thread: Shot Size
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 01:17 PM
dawei
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shot Size

ORIGINAL: iloveto4x4innc

Three of us are hunting a small pond. 2 of us are using 12ga. 3" with #4 steel, the other is using 12ga 31/2" with #4. None of us are able to kill a duck with one shot. 2 of us hit the same duck 5 times before we got him killed. We're only shooting at 30-40yrds. Should we switch to a heavier shot, like #2, switch to a tighter choke, what? It's getting frustrating throwing so much shot at one bird to kill it. The only time I've managed to kill one with less than 3 shots was with BB which was the last round in the mag on the previous duck that I missed, so it was in the chamber when I reloaded with #4s.

I think all 3 of us are using mod. chokes in our guns. Should we go to full or even tighter?

This won't help us much on this season since it closes in 2 days, but the next season opens Dec. 16th.

Thanks in anvance
My regular duck hunting partner shoots a Remington® 1100 3" Mag (Mod) using #2 & 3 steel. His experience mirrors yours unfortunately, 2-3 shots to 'break the duck down' & put it on the water; & another shot or two to kill it after down. OTOH, I'm shooting a Mossberg® Mdl 500 20ga 3" Mag. I use Hevi•Shot®, #5 & 6. Not to brag but whenI shoot a duck, OUT TO 50YDS; it's Bang, Splash, DDRT (Duck Dead Right There)! Yes Hevi•Shot® is expensive but considering that I kill ducks, WITH THE FIRST SHOT; in the long run it's cheaper than my partner shooting 3-5 shots of Steel. If you switch to Hevi•Shot® you will be utterly amazed at how it performs.