HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Losing my desire to hunt
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 10:59 PM
ironranger
Typical Buck

Default RE: Losing my desire to hunt

Alot of good perspectives out here and I think that everyone goes thru certain hunting stages during our lives. I do know what you mean about it being discouraging though with the amount of people crowding the public areas and landownership/leasing taking more and more as well. Things like that can make a person say "I've had enough".

As I've gotten olderit has taken a little more work to stay in shape in order to be able to do the western hunts but it's all worth it to me. Everything seems to ache alot more after climbing mountains all day long andmy flexibilityain't what it once was. I still would love to find a big muley and big bull but if I don't I'll still have one heckuva good time trying. It's more about the whole experience for me of planning the trip, scouring the topo software, marking waypoints, printing maps, learning a new area or one that I've hunted previously, driving from state to state meeting people along the way, setting up camp, and the anticipation that comes with the hunt. I have no control over who else will be there or over the actions of some slob hunters so I work on controlling what I can such as my preparation and perception int the field. I seem to take more time these days to stop and take pictures along the way and breathe deep and look at the spectacular scenery. It's all good. I did get a little burned out this year on the deer hunting so I switched back to pheasant mode and hunting solo with my dog is just a blast. Watching him is just something I can't explain in words.