HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rem Brass - case seperation
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 02:25 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default Rem Brass - case seperation

I had a 4 time loaded rem brass seperate just above the belt in my 7mm rem mag the other day while busting a yote. Bullet hit the intended target but exctration of the case was difficult, it ended up seperating leaving the remaining portion in the chamber but when I removed the bolt and tipped it up the case fell out. At the shoulder it has crimple marks and powder burn where I assume the seperation took place. A scope shows no effects to chamber or bore according to my gunsmith. Test fires at the range proved everything is normal and where it should be. Load has shot fine for a couple of years, no pressure signs and this is the first time such a thing has happened to me.(have seen it on the range before just not personally). Powder is RL22 same lot number as previous.

Got me thinking about brass and sizing technique. I was taught and still FL size my brass. I inspect the brass prior to reloading and always work up with different components even though a load may be proven previously. I rarily tumble anymore, just wipe them down and reload. Think I am being particular about my reloading techniques but when something like this happens you wonder just a tad??