HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - string loops
Thread: string loops
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 09:55 PM
BigJ71
Site Bouncer

Default RE: string loops

ORIGINAL: animalized

Good informative post BigJ12. Appreciate everyones replies as they were a big help.
Reading some other info regarding tying string loops, it stated that you should wax the loop string first, then once you have it tied into place, apply some more wax to the knots and then heat it up so that the wax melts into the knots. That this would help prevent the knots from sliding. I did it like this but I notice that the knot slides up and down the string quite easily. Is this from the wax or maybe I just don't have it tight enough yet?? Got it tied on no problem, and just like you said, the melted ends of the loop string are on opposite sides of the bow string. Also, I read that starting about 1/8th of an inch above center is a good place to start. So, I marked 1/8" above center and used that as a reference to where my knock would go. Is that about right??

I also picked up a brand new release, a Scotts Lil Goose, specifically for going to this string loop.
I don't wax the loop until it's on and tight, If you tied in two nock sets then there is no where for the loop to go. That's the main reason why I do it like that. The other reason is when I draw, the release is directly behind my arrow. If you only have one nock then you will notice the release will not be behind the arrow but off set a little.

Starting 1/8 above center is fine, you will probably need to adjust your restwhen you tune so that may change. I use a Whisker Biscuit so I start with my nock level.