HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Outfitters, guides, etc.
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 06:22 AM
Bob H in NH
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Outfitters, guides, etc.

I see nothing wrong with it, especially if it is in a different part of the country for a species you know nothing about. I have been on two guided elk hunts. Now being from New England, we just don't get much chance to view elk and learn their habits, etc. The terrain out west is totally different and scouting is not an option when you have to pay several hundred dollars to fly or drive out there.

Using an outfitter is a short cut to the learning curve on a new area and new game animal. If you are using an guide that acts as you say, "does everyting except pull the trigger" then you are missing out on alot of the fun. the outfitter I have used has taught me to call elk, both cows and bulls, taught me about elk habits etc. I could "probably" manage on my own, but what about access to land? It would take years of trips out west at the expense of family time, vacation, money etc. to get anywhere close to the success chance I have with an outfitter.

Personally I don't see myself paying a guide to hunt whitetails, because I have those here, but for other species in different parts of the country/world, I see nothing wrong with it.