HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - little ones make big ones
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2006, 07:16 PM
HUNGAR
Fork Horn

Default RE: little ones make big ones

I agree with you about people shooting little bucks and then complaining about no big ones, BUT heres my issue with what you said. Your main question was "why do people shoot littlebucks while bowhunting"? I am in a round about way the kind of person you are talking aobut. I have hunted about 30 days (out of 45)of our early bow season, I will have hunted 7 days ofgun season (with a bow) that runs 15 days until Nov.30th and probably about 12 days in December until season ends.

I took vacation Nov. 6th- 13th, I seen six bucks prior to this a decent 7pt that I passed on and a nice 16-17inch wide buck (not sure on pt total) that was quartering towards that I let walk because of the angle and some smaller bucks. I seen 10 different bucks on my vacation the biggest being a 14inch 8pt, I ended up shooting a year and a half old 5pt that I was very pleased with personally. I still have a restricted tag that can be used for atleast 4 on one side or better or it can be used on a doe and I have a doe tag.

Over the years I have shot probably 20 bucks with my bow, but none of them will crack 100, I put my time in, scouting, hanging stands, watching deer, very scent concious, practicing and shooting good equiptment. Up until about 6yrs ago I never saw a "good buck" while hunting, but since I have seen about 1 a year. I had 2 within shooting range, one was a bad angle which I passed the other was stupidity- I didn't stand and the deer passed by 12yds to my right and I couldn't turn by the time he was gone.

I would love to pass up 100-120inch deer, but where I hunt they are not as common as you may believe. I am not saying they are not there, but with where I hunt and all the private land I just feel fortunate enough to have some land to hunt. I hunt 80 acres pretty much surrounded by houses, I hear about 300 cars passing because the property is by a busy rd every time I hunt. The draw of this place is it is out my back door and puts me minutes away from the family and occasionally I can take one of my sons hunting with me.

I posted little history and I hope you don't think I am complaing because I am not. I think I am the luckiest guy on earth, I am happy shooting "little bucks". I love being able to sit next to one of my sons on stand and see deer with them. I love going to the house and getting them to do some tracking and dragging. I usually shoot 2 deer a year and I am happy with everyone of them.

So here is my conclusion, it is MY tag, MY time, MY money spent, and if it makes me happy why would you care or want to know? You would think you would be happy for another archer if they feel good about the situation.

If you were to invite me to NE Iowa I would hold out for a 140 class buck if those were your wishes.

My question is how do the bigger antlered bucks taste? J/K.

Chris