HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Meat grinder
Thread: Meat grinder
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2006, 11:27 PM
Blackpowdersmoke
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Meat grinder

I used to work part time for a neighbor that cut deer during the season and I learned how to cut and did my own. When He and his wife split up he sold out and I was back to square one..taking my deer to someone else and PAYING FOR IT!!!!...Not to mention that if you do it yourself you can customize your cuts and keep the meat MUCH cleaner. Processors generally do a great job, but they let a lot more fat,gristle, and yea...hair through than I ever would for myself. After all,when they'redoing hundreds of deer a seasonthey can't take the time to nit-pick. So I bought a small grinder, a hand meat saw, anda few food lugs and do my own. The main thing with your grinder is to keep the knives sharpand theplates true and flat. I'm fortunate enough to be a machinist by trade and do my own, but there are a lot of small machine shops out there that would do them reasonable enough. If you don't run anything through your grinder other than clean meat and fat, you should get a number of seasons of use before they need a touch up.I use a little mineral oil on the knife and plate when I set up so there is instant lubrication on the metal when you start up. And mineral oil is natural ( foodgrade )so it won't hurt anything. Coat the knife and plates with mineral oil after they are clean and dry and keep them in a zip-lock bag until next use......BPS