HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer with .243
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2006, 03:51 PM
spencer0071

Default RE: Deer with .243

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

"WOW", I think I am going to go out and throw my 45-70's and my 30 caliber's in the garbage. I think I will run right out and buy me one of those toy guns-WHOOPS I mean 243 today. I wonder if there are any shops open on Thanksgiving day.

Sorry fellows, I just could not resist. Here is the bottom line. "SHOOT WHAT YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH". Accuracy is paramount.

If minimum caliber's were what hunter's wanted, then why all the new Magnum's from the manufacturers? If hunter's were not buying them, then they would not make them. Are they necessary to kill a deer, probably not.But they sure do sell.

If you want to impress somebody then buy a 30-30 and shoot open sights, off handed at 150 yards. Show me you can do that. Shooting like that makes you a real shooter-and you must be a real shooter before you can be a real hunter. And by the way throw your charts in the garbage where they belong. I do not need a chart to tell me where my rifle hits. I shoot it.

Now I am on my way out the door with my 1886---45-70(WHOOPS I mean over calibered piece of junk), Deer season is in here in WV. Tom.
This is a good case in point here.A 45-70 was developed to kill buffalo at close range with one shot.Isit necessary to use this caliber too harvest a deer? No but it does work. My point is very simple. Do not be afraid to use the smaller calibers to hunt deer. They have more than enough power to harvest a deer.