HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer with .243
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Davoh
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer with .243

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001
Sorry fellows, I just could not resist. Here is the bottom line. "SHOOT WHAT YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH". Accuracy is paramount.
BINGO

If minimum caliber's were what hunter's wanted, then why all the new Magnum's from the manufacturers? If hunter's were not buying them, then they would not make them. Are they necessary to kill a deer, probably not.But they sure do sell.
Mags sell because inside every rational, level-headed, male adult is an adolescent boy screaming "MY **** IS BIGGER THAN YOURS!!" Which opens an entirely different can of worms about the numerical scoring of trophies eventually being the death knell of the true understanding of what hunting is about, thus bringing in the commercialization of every aspect of hunting.

If you want to impress somebody then buy a 30-30 and shoot open sights, off handed at 150 yards. Show me you can do that. Shooting like that makes you a real shooter-and you must be a real shooter before you can be a real hunter.
no arguement from me. My grandfather killed more deer year after year with a beat up 1930's era Winchester .30-30. Few if any hunters elicitmy respect of their skills as did he.

And by the way throw your charts in the garbage where they belong. I do not need a chart to tell me where my rifle hits. I shoot it.
again... the ONLY substitute for practice... is MORE PRACTICE. Know yourself, know your weapon, and know your quarry.

Now I am on my way out the door with my 1886---45-70(WHOOPS I mean over calibered piece of junk), Deer season is in here in WV. Tom.
I never said anything about "over-gunning". It just really bugs me that people seem to think Whitetail Deer wear kevlar. Shoot what you want, but dont call the .243 "un-ethical".

A shooter is better off shooting a lighter caliber if they shoot it better. PERIOD