HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer with .243
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2006, 10:29 AM
zrexpilot
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer with .243

ORIGINAL: Davoh

The shooter has to do his job with any caliber to be ethical. PERIOD
GUTSHOT IS A GUTSHOT IS A GUTSHOT.... if you can't hit the bullseye, DONT SHOOT. That is the case with ANY caliber. You cannot convince me that a lost deer that was shot in the hams or paunch was the result of using too-small a caliber. Anytime you lose a deer because it was poorly shot, dont blame the bullet. No other reason than user error.

I'll say it again....if you can't hit the bullseye, DONT TAKE THE SHOT. It doesnt matter what caliber you use. You get no more margin for error with a whizbang magnum than you do with a .243 or even a .223. I won't take a shot with my .308 that I wouldn't with my .243. Split second? no shot. not unless I'm already prepared for it on a solid rest. I also won't shoot at a quartering deer past +/- 30 degree angle. and even then it depends on the shoulders. Running deer? Absolutely not.

That's called shooter discipline. That is the true challenge to rifle hunting. Knowing yourself, you're weapon, your target, and the limitations of your'e environment.

The .243 is a great round for whitetail. 100 Gr. Remington Corelocts are fine medicine.

Dude hit the nail on the head !
I get sick of hearing this margin for error bull crap. NO SUCH THING !
Theres no such thing as a brush gun
KineticEnergy doesnt kill anything.
There no margin for error.