HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - More stupid elk hunters
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 11:40 PM
feddoc
Fork Horn

Default More stupid elk hunters

I was taking my son to a spot where I thought we might see some elk. On the way we decided to stop (he is handicapped and doesn't walk so good) and rest a bit. I heard more than a couple of shots and looked up to see some, uh, road hunters shooting at a spike (not long enought brow tines). The bull was running away from them. They finally stopped shooting as the spike was about 1000 yards away (my range finder quits at 800, had to estimate the rest). Not long after that a 4 pointer takes off in the same direction. Same results, only a few more shots. Not long after that a nice 6 point took off. I stopped counting at 32 shots. All three bulls were last seen walking off the top of a hill. At one spot on the forest service road I picked up 24 pieces of brass from a .30/06.

WTF is wrong with people.....???? Not only was the first one illegal, but, they were all running away from the uh, 'hunters'. The bulls were all broadside to us long enough to get a shot off...but, crap, I didn't want to get involved in something like that.

Third season in Unit 68 in southern CO in case anyone is interested.

Not to worry; although we did not get to shoot an elk, the kid had a ball building fires, knocking down a few beers with dad late at night, finding a wolf kill and so on. We did manage to snag a nice 4X buck.