HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - homemade range finder
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 06:41 PM
atcfisherman
Fork Horn

Default RE: homemade range finder

ORIGINAL: Bulzeye

I actually used a golf distance finder from the golf shop. It is only about $30, but does the job for bow hunting.
That's a great idea ATC. I don't chase the little white balls around yet, so I wouldn't have thought of it. Very good tip.

I find the best way to learn estimating is to shoot 3D.
Either use a rangefinder and burn the images of the different distances in your mind, or go without the equipment and make note of guesses that are off. Pace it off when you get your arrows back.

Than practice from your stand if you can. Things look further away from up there and may cause you to aim a bit high.
Thanks. You are correct in saying the best way to earn estimating is to shoot 3D. I have access to a bow range about 10 minutes from the house and they have about 10 acres set up in the woods with a walking trail through it. About every 100 yards down the trail, there are side trails with 3D targets. Each side trail is set up different and the distances are all marked off with colored stake markers. They even have a few blinds to shoot from, one ground blind and two tower blinds. It really helps me to shoot from the tower blinds because of the hypotenuseside of the right triangle along with gravity affects the shot.