HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - pre-64 win lever action
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2006, 07:12 PM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: pre-64 win lever action

That particular one is a post-64 model. Any '94 with a serial number of 2.5 million or lower will be a pre-64. Also, most I have seen have metalic butt plates instead of the later plastic. But I just go by the serial number. The actual number is a touch higher than 2.5 million, closer to 2.6. In 64, I believe they restarted at 2.8 or 2.9 million.

The main difference with thepre'64 bolt guns vs later models (or at least immediately later) was the controlled round feed vs push round feed bolt faces. There was more quality control in the earlier models also, and they generally just had a better feel about them. Winchester really started cutting costs after '64. Think Remington's older Wingmaster shotguns vs the new 870 Express, or the older 1100 vs the new 1187 sportsman.

However, there is NOTHING wrong with the post 64 guns, be them bolt, lever, auto or pump. Rim, center and shot: I have had good experiences with the older Winchester shotguns and rifles. Only bad one was a 2004 Super Shadow in 243 WSSM.....