HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - LAND LEASES BAD FOR HUNTERS?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2006, 01:05 PM
NEW61375
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: LAND LEASES BAD FOR HUNTERS?

ORIGINAL: holler critter

To whom it may concern;

I would like to take a moment of your time if I may? Why is that there are those of you out there, who still think that the only way you are going to harvest an animal, is if you or your buddies have secureds the rights to hunta specifictract of land exclusively? This does not make you or your friends better hunters and sportsman;in fact the only thing you are actually doing isundermining the huntingtraditionsour grandfathers worked so hard to develpe,organize and manage.

All I keep hearing from those who aprove of leasing is that they will have no where to hunt or that they are doing it for the farmer. Why not tell the real truth those that lease are usually the well to do or privlaged who think they have to have the woods to themselves. Hunting is a public sport that is managed and enjoyed not only by the wealthy ,but the poor as well,we all contribute to hunting through taxes and wild life management.

Leasing would not even be an issue if it were not for all the fancy hunten clubs, ranches and television personalities instilling the idea into others that the only way to suceed in hunting is if you own,rent,or secure property.

Those that lease most of the time realy are not out there to help the farmeror land owners manage herds, they are only out there for the trophy deer. As ontelevision how many of thosesuper huntersdo you notice being excited about taking a nice doe? No sir, Buster Bucks only.Leasing 90% of the time is usually practiced by those I call trophy prowanta be's who are afraid of the local competition.I have friends who have permission to hunt the same land that others lease and my friendshunt to feed their family and friends;while the leasing party only hunt for wall mounters.
Now I ask you who is realy doing more for the farmer, those leasing with money or those taking both doe and buck to feed themselves and bring the herds into check.

Please folks the next time you all decide to rent or lease,think about others who share in the sports. Because if this continues hunting as our grandfathers intended may soon be no more. I already have friends who no longer are able to hunt; because they can not afford to keep up with the rich,trophy,pro wanta be's and clubsthat are buying, selling and leasing land from local farmers, they've been squeezed out of hunting sports.

We all, had plenty of space to hunt before leasing was the greatest fad. Why not stop all of this leasing before it ends hunting as we've known it? It can be all reconcilled if those who are a little selfish stop offering the farmers and land owners money for leasing. If not I think the farmers and land owners should have to pay royalities to wild life management from their profits, maybe this would throw a wrench in the works!??
I almost don't knowwant to think about your posts. Are you serious? These ain't your granddaddy's deer woods anymore and it is not likely to revert back to whatever it is youwereused to (which sounds likehunting off of property you don't own or have rights to). I have yet to read where you offer up a realistic alternative to leasing. Open woods, free-roam hunting?? Do you really think that is an option? You keep saying "hunting as we've known it" What you really mean is hunting as you have known it, whichclearlydoes not apply to everyone else.What is clear is that you haveno real knowledge ofthe leasing issue as a whole (only your local area leasing issues). You stereotype people who lease andmake it seemthough as hunters we should be entitled to hunt wherever we want regardless ofwho owns it.I am neither "well to do" or "privaleged", and I certainly am not a "wanta be" pro hunter.All of your mindless babbling about "people that lease are onlyout for trophy deer", and don't "really" help the farmers or the herd, "90% of the timethose that lease are trophy pro wanta be's", and we are"ending our grandfathers traditions and hunting as "we" know it" make you sound ignorant.

WEBSTERS II--University Dictionary
Ignorant--adj.--1. Without knowledge or education. 2. Displaying lack
of knowledge or education. 3. Unaware or uninformed
: OBLIVIOUS.
Mainly number 3. I seriously mean no offense and I do not think you are stupid, just uninformed.

How many people do youknow that lease? I only ask because you are laying down some very broad statements that are simply incorrect and based on your own biased opinions rather a larger understanding of leasing as a whole.
Where do you hunt (state)? Do you thinkit might be possible that other people in other states might bedealing with different circumstances than you?
How did your granddad used to hunt and what traditionsof his (specifically) are being destroyed by leasing?
I hunt deer to feed my family and friends, I shoot does, I manage our herd, I take care of the land,andsome of that landis leased. Where does that put me?

Hunting is a public sport, you are correct. But most hunting land is private. Whether you are talking about a farmers land or land owned by a company, it does not matter, you stillmust have permission to hunt that land. And some companies and farmers make that easy by offering that land up for a contracted lease. What is wrong with that,nothing unless you don't want to pay to hunt, then it becomesa problem.So let me get this straight if you don't get to hunt someoneelse's property for free that is a problem? And I am selfish for leasing it because if I didn't lease it then the landowner may just let you hunt it for free again (like in the old days).

I can only speak for myself but I know thatthe farms we lease and the farmers we lease from aredoing well with this arrangement. We keep the farmers access roads right, we provide him and lots of others withtons of deer meat, we kill lots of deer which helps his crops, and we pay the land lease whichhelps him with taxes and other expenses. But I'm sure if you asked him to boot us off so you and your crowd could hunt itlike the"old days" he would jump all over the oppurtunity.