HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First archery deer!!
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 07:31 AM
Ptrbilt

Default First archery deer!!

Friday morning started off with a long sit, 5 hours to be exact, in some open timber with two deer sightings. One was just a flash of brown at about 100 yards and the second was a buck that busted me blowing on the grunt tube. All I saw of him was a few flashes of horns and tail while he scampered away. After lunch I decided to head to a new spot with numerous trails and a few rubs. After humping my climber about a mile through the woods I found a decent tree to climb and proceeded to hang a few Tinks soaked scent wicks. While untangling my haul rope I look up to see a nice eight point coming across the hill side about 50 yards off. We both proceeded with the stare down while I slowly retrieved my bow and he eventually turned and walked back up the hill. It took a few more minutes but I made up the tree and settled in for a nice evening hunt in unseasonable 65 degree weather. One tip of my Primos can and few soft grunts on the tube I leaned back to enjoy the sites. I wasn’t five minutes when I heard the snap of twigs. This area was very thick and visibility is limited to 40 yards in some directions. I could just start to see some movement in the brush. At 40 yards a six point stepped out and kept coming towards me. Every couple of steps he’d pick his nose up to test the wind and I only hoped that he picked the Tinks and not my sweat soaked camo. Finally at about thirty yards I was able to stand and come to full draw. I let the arrow rip and he dropped like a sack of potatoes. I had hit him high and in the spine. I quickly gathered my thoughts; let my heart slow to below 200 and came down the tree to finish him. I estimated his distance at 30 yards and he was more like 25 yards. All in all it was a great day to be in the woods and the best part was bringing a buck home to show my kids (all of which are still to young to hunt). I hope every one enjoys the pictures.

Oh yeah, I didn't hunt in blue jeans, pictures was taken after I carried my gear to my truck, changed and then returned to the deer.