HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Losing my desire to hunt
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 10:20 PM
muley69

Default RE: Losing my desire to hunt

ORIGINAL: EKM

"....I have zero desire to hunt elk as I find the effort more then the reward...."
When/where/what was the last time you enjoyed hunting?
=================================

FWIW, and somewhat unrelated....

Iused to go"Bambi popping" in the local deer patch back in Nebraska (usually we had 4 deer by noon opening day) with minimal effort or preparation and being hunting pheasants in the afternoon same day.

Now elk season is a major undertaking involving weeks (in varying degrees)of preparation.
I personally enjoy every bit of it and now Bambi popping is justa distant memory.
Elk hunting (or even deer hunting in the high country on public ground) is noteasy and isn't for everyone.
I've tried to impress that point on some folks in our discussions here on the forumsand it seems most that haven't done it expect it to go down like a Bambi pop.

Elk hunting is typically an epic.
MtBob and I have a spot, where I can pretty easily get into elk. I have no problem hiking many miles into the back country as MB can attest. I just don't want to. I'm not lazy, and I understand the difficulties of elk hunting, both the hunt, and the pack. Even though I am pretty sure I can get into elk, I just don't want to go. Packing the trailer, loading the gear, etc just doesn't do it for me. Same with antelope and deer. It's rather confusing as I have been hunting for 30 years. The excitment just isn't there.
Montana Bob: I will do some poking around, maybe come up there and work for a few months, get a feel for the place.