HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ny deer movement?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 03:13 PM
GR8RALLY

Default RE: ny deer movement?

ORIGINAL: gbmetcalf

GR8RALLY:
What did you plant in your food lots? A few friends and I hunt a friends land and we have been seeing less and less deer in the area because the farms are all going belly up. We want to put in some food lots but am not sure what to plant.
In August, I planted Biologic Premium Perennial (Clover, Chicory and Brassica). The Clover and Chicory are just building their root systemin Aug & Sept. so that they'll have a heads up in the early spring, but the Brassica is the food ofchoice right now.It is about knee high and the deer have mowed the edges down to about 3". Some told me that it may take a season or two for deer to adapt to it, but the deer in my area took to it right away, even though there is other forage still avail. As thetemp continues to drop, the plant becomes sweeter, so I'm sure they will finish it off by the end of Dec. if not sooner!Very pleased with the product. Going to also plant another 4 acres in the spring in another location near by that will be a spring/summer forage for the deer and turkey, this should help in attracting and keeping deer on my property and help with thier growth development.