HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Recovered Gold Dot from today's hunt
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2006, 07:19 PM
HighDesertWolf
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Recovered Gold Dot from today's hunt

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

Wolf

For one thing this bullet is tough.Ican't easily bend the petels with my fingers and would have to get some pliers to pull those suckers out. I simply used one of the sharp thingson my leatherman and picked out the tissue. I cleaned it in the field where we field dress deer at our club and we have a old "pitcher pump" down there. I just keptwashing it ina stream of water and picking out the flesh until it got clean.

I assure you it came from the deer I shot yesterday morning around 6:15 AM.

I'll weigh it Monday.

mouthcaller

LOL!! was I that obvious about doubting wether that bullet came out of a deer or not? I didnt mean to be too obvious but thanks for explaining how you got it so clean. I personally dont have any firsthand experience with gold dots but I assume the structure isnt to much off from hornady XTP's or winchester silvertip hollow points which lose their pettles easily from even slight pressure.

to give you an idea of what im talking about heres a picture of a 185 grain 45 cal silvertip hollow point I extracted from a deer it was intact prior to cleaning but while cleaning the brittle pettles broke off and the rest of the jacket came off the bullet.