HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What is the best shot# for doves??
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 08:14 AM
sproulman
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is the best shot# for doves??

ORIGINAL: Browningfan369

I use 7.5's on all my dove hunts and yes it does a great job on doves as well as grouse.

Good Luck
early in grouse season we use 7 and 1/2 LOW brass on them as shots are close with leaves on trees..i like remington 2 and 3/4 shurshot heavy dove load..vel is 1255,drams are 3 and 1/4 with 1 and 1/8 shot..

this is best i have found and under 5 dollars a box..

now, after leaves are off, i go to shurshot no.6 shot,HIGH brass because the shots will be from 30 yds out to 60 yds..

in early season here on grouseis what i do, i put my first shell in my beretta semi which is 7 and 1/2,THEN second shell is no. 6 high brass..this works great..i do same on pheasants early in season..

i put a no.6 low brass in first shot then next is no.5 high brass for second shot..

after leaves are off, nothing but high brass no. 6 shot on grouse in all 3 shells..

the secret to getting grouse after they are spooky and no leaves is to hunt on the WINDY days at noon to 3pm here in pa..

then and only then you will get real close shots, i then use 7 and 1/2 low brass shurshot dove loads..