HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 243 and deer
Thread: 243 and deer
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2006, 12:01 PM
nchawkeye
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 243 and deer

Aliston...The Federal Premium 85gr HPBT is definately a deer load...I didn't believe it when I was told about it, but after killing about 25 deer with it I can attest that it actually gives more pass throughs than the Winchester PowerPoints and the Federal Premium 100gr Sierra GameKing SPBT....I used to sight it in 2 1/2 high at 100 and in my rifle and it would be about 3 inches low at 300 yards...I would use this bullet when hunting over soybeans in eastern NC where shots could be out to 300 yards....I even killed 6 or so deer with this bullet inside of 50 yards....I have 3 buddies that have converted from '06s to the .243 (all happen to have Remington 700s) and this bullet groups exceptionally well in their rifles...I switched back to CoreLokts earlier this year when I discovered that I have a couple of lots in the Federal loading that my rifle didn't give good groups with...After the season is over this year I'll go back to this bullet and try to tweek my rifle to see if I can get it to group these as well as it used to....