HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 12- Team "MEGA Bucks" Official Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 09:39 PM
duckdog132
Typical Buck

Default RE: 12- Team "MEGA Bucks" Official Thread

Well I just measured the rack and it scored 69 7/8. not as much as I thought he would score but I guess that’s how the ball rolls.
Well here’s how it all went down. Last Friday I was so excited that I was going to be off work all weekend so I could hunt sat/ and Sunday. Well then I get a call from my uncle asking me if I could come down to southern Illinois to help him Saturday cutting down trees. I felt like I had to say yes and I was thinkingI wouldat least have all day Sunday to hunt. I got down there sat/ and the "little tree job" took till 9 o’clock that night. Needless to say there was no way I was going to drive back 4 hoursthat late at night so I just crashed there.Sunday I left and went home. Got all my gear ready and headedout about 1ish.Got in my stand about 1:30. Time passed and about2 hours later I had a doe and small fawn come right under my stand. Then fifteen minutes later this guy shows up following the same trail the does came from.I knew this was going to be one of the last days I would be able to hunt but I thought well maybe I would let him pass still. I pulled back anyways for practice. Put my 20-yard pin on him and just watched him walk. Well then the buck had to stop broad side at exactly 20 yards away. I couldn’t hold the temptation back any longer. I let the arrow fly and hit him right behind the left shoulder. He ran off and about 2 minutes later I herd a "thud" and then it sounded like a boulder being rolled down a hill. I waited about 30 minutes and then went to find my arrow and the blood trail. Followed the trail about 60 yards and then the trail stopped right at the end of the steepest cliff on the whole farm. I looked down and there he was at the very bottom in the creek bed. It took two men a four wheeler and a winch to get him out and even then it took three hours before the was in the bed of my truck.
This was by far the most troublesome deer I have ever taken but it was all worth it in the end. And even though he isn’t quite a "mega buck" he’s was still a trophy experience.