HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ladder Stands - Quiet? Convenient?
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 08:30 PM
MichaelT.

Default RE: Ladder Stands - Quiet? Convenient?

yes

yes

yes

to a point. If it is very tall, it will take a lot of strength to get the leverage to put it up, but it can be done. I have 2 - 15 ' ladders, and 1 - 20' ladder. I really like them as a stable platform. If I want to move around, I also have 3 climbing stands, and for gun season / bad weather I have a 20 foot tower stand. It is great to have choices, but if you don't plan on moving around a lot, a ladder stand is a really good choice.

***** ADDITIONAL INFO ******

One thing I have started doing that really does help in the setup of the ladder stands is : if you have a climbing stand, take it with you. Put it on the tree. Attach a rope to the ladder stand and to the climber. Go up the tree, and pull the stand up on the tree to get it in position. Place the ratchet strap to secure the top, but dont tighten it too tight, you just want to keep the stand on the tree. Use the climber and go down the tree to the 1st brace. Secure it to the tree, but leave just a small bit of slack in the line.Go further down and secure the second brace ( if it has one ), and secure it to the tree the same way. Go back to the ground, and climb the ladder to get it seated in the ground. When you seat the ladder, that will take up the little bit of slack you left in the brace lines. Go to the top and get the stand seated. Tighten the ratchet strap at the top and you are finished. The benefit to setting up this way is that you are not climbing an unsecured ladder stand, so you eliminate anychance of falling if the stand were to shift while climbing up to initially secure it. I haveheard of many people falling from a shifting stand, And I have fallen 17' fromone that shifted. Trust me it hurts. But if you use a climbing stand to raise and secure it, you will be able todo it by yourself ( if no one else is available to help), and you will go home alive and well, everytime.