HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First deer of the season
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2006, 06:59 PM
sr77
Nontypical Buck

Default First deer of the season

Shot a nice big mature doe Oct. 30th in the morning. Had 7 doe around me for about 45 mins. Finally was able to get a good shot at one. She was quartering away so I aim for the opposite shoulder, put the 20 pin on her and let it fly. Saw the arrow hit, and it looked a bit far back. saw her bedded down about 60 yds. away with her head up, so I snuck out of the woods. Went back 5 hours later and found no blood at all, not even where she had been bedded down. At this point I figured she might have moved to some nice tall grass they always like to bed in. Sure enough I see her lying there and her tail flicks. I nock and arrow and stalk closer, I had to get about 3 yds. away to shoot. over the grass. She was pretty much done and didn't even try to run. I shot her again through both lungs and the heart, she jumped up ran 25 yds. and dropped, I walked up to her and saw why she was still alive when I found her. I played the shot right as the arrow broke through the front leg, but i hit her all the way back in front of the ham. I hadn't realized she was quartering away so severely when I shot. Anyway, doe in the freezer. Sorry for the long post, I am at work and bored