HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 100 vs. 150
Thread: 100 vs. 150
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Pglasgow
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 100 vs. 150

ORIGINAL: triggerhappy

The two loads you see mentioned the most by the rifle and powder mfg's etc. are the 100 grain load and the 150 grain load. I am curious on what the real world does.

Is there a big advantage going with the 150 over the 100? What are you using the most. Is it something different?

I am looking at this in terms of performance in todays inlines shooting saboted bullets.
TH,

I went to http://powerbeltbullets.com/ballistic.htmlto check out their published muzzle energies for 100 and 150 grain loads. The increase in muzzle energy ranged from 23% to 54%. The efficiency of the increasecorrelates to a functionof the sectional density of bullet (same as with smokeless powders too). So you find the efficiency similar between .45 cal 275 grain and .50 cal 348 grain which are close to the same in sectional density.

All the loads I use are less than 100 grains which is more than"enough" to do the job with an appropriate bullet, on anything in North America. I guess its just a matter of personal preference and what you are trying to achieve with the load. Good Luck.