HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Kimber 8400
Thread: Kimber 8400
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2006, 09:23 AM
HEAD0001
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kimber 8400

I agree with Superpig about the recoil issue. However I feel recoil is an issue with any rifle, and obviously the lighter the rifle, the more the felt recoil. There are other factors that come into play with recoil.

Stock design is one, and I personally think Kimber has a superior design. On my 223, I can see impacts, on other 223'sI can not. If some one does not believe stock design has anyting to do with it, then go shoota Savage 110E-you will come away with another perspective. I know Savages are very accurate, I am only speaking of the recoil.

Load design and powder burn also have a dog in the hunt. As do different cartridges. I personally believe the 300 WSM has less felt recoil than the 300 WM. I have shot the WSM in the Kimber, but not the WM. My comment comes from prior experience with other rifles. Speak to one of the designers of the WSM, they will tell you that one of their goals was to lower felt recoil, while maintaining WM performance.

If I were Mr. 45-70 I would go with the WSM and not the WM. However the reason would not be recoil. I would buy it because it is lighter. And also his name tells me he is accustom to recoil(45-70). In my opinion the 45-70 is one of the finest cartridges there is. Tom.