HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Proper technique
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 08:31 AM
PastorSteve

Default RE: Proper technique

MV, Thanks for the great advice.

First on the GPS unit, believe me, I really want one. I will have to wait a bit because of budget, but I will have one before next season for sure.

I do go with my Father so I don't have to worry about being out there by myself.

I have a Remington 710 30-06 so my caliber should be fine for what I'm hunting.

I have studied the 2006 regulations in detail and try to continue checking up on them often to make sure I didn't forget anything or read past anything.

My father and I have walked many miles this season already. We generally don't drive in anywhere to close to where we want to hunt....it's just finding the game which seems to be the problem.

Field gutting an animal is something I "know" how to do. I put the quotes around know because when you haven't done something, it makes it difficult to really know. I've done a lot of research, watched DVD's on field dressing big game and so forth but like anything, until you really do it, you won't know for sure.

I took a hunter safety course when I was about 12. I've been in the woods all my life and know how to deal with the outdoors and proper safety as well as ethical hunting practices.

It's just been quite a few years and was looking for some tips on how to maximize my chances at harvesting an animal in a totally new area.

Thanks again to all for some very wonderful advice. Please keep it coming if you can.