HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bowhunting..is it ethical??
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Windwalker7
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting..is it ethical??

I believe bowhunting is ethical.

I realize that many deer are hit and lost by bowhunters. But I also believe many of those deer survive. I'll give a few examples.

Many years ago, I hunted a private piece of property. Their was a new hunter to the property. The owner did not allow shooting does, only bucks.

Every evening a doe would enter this small field with her offspring. I observed them many evenings. One evening they did not come out. As I went to my truck, the new hunter informed me that he hit the doe. I told him that the owner did not want does shot, but he didn't know that.

I helped himtrack the deer. We went several hundred yards and it was bleeding pretty good but never bedded. I suggested he come back in the morning and take up the trail.

For the next several days, the 2 fawns came to the field by theirselves. I felt a little bad for them. I never saw the other hunter again. I wondered if he found the doe or not. Maybe he didn't even look because the owner didn't allow doe hunting. Who knew?

After about a week I saw the big doe come out with her fawns. She had lived. She had two big scabs on each side at the base of her neck but seemed to be doing alright.

Story#2

I had a decent 10 pt buck coming to the backyardfeeder about 4 years ago. He started showing up right before rifle season. He too had two scabs each side, between his shoulder blades and base of his neck. He most likely was hit by an archer. He walked with a slight limp but seemed to be alright.

When deer are hit with a rifle, I think that they receive more damage to muscles and such and are less likely to recover.

I've taken many deer with rifle and bow.They all react differently at the shot but the bow deer, many times, don't act like they are in a great deal of pain when hit. That's just my observation.

I think that bowhunting is a great challenge and the deer have a much better chance of getting away.

Shot placement is vital as well as tracking skills to be successful. I also feel your pain when hearing stories of the one that someone couldn't find. Been there myself a few times. It happens. But, all in all, bowhunting is ethical and humane.