HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Climbing tips and tricks
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 06:53 AM
Strut&Rut
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Climbing tips and tricks

NYB,

1) Definitely ditch those factory straps. Opt for the real backpack straps offered by Summit.

2) Get the permanent plastic toe keepers also. The bungy straps work fine, but the permanent plastic ones will not make a big ole "thwack" when you take your foot out.

3) The biggest frustration you will have is keeping your stand quiet while walking to the tree!! Fine-tuning this aspect will take a little experimentation, but I have a few tips for this...
a) Be sure to push the cables as far as possible into the stand. They should not rattle if you do this.
b) When you strap the 2 sections together, run the strap vertically (ie, thru the V). This will keep the two sections much tighter while walking, and was recommended to me by a Summit tech.
c) Place your saddle bags between the sections before tightening. This will not only keep them quiet, but you will not accidentally trip yourself.

4) If you have any questions, you can keep asking us yahoos, but I found the people at Summit extremely helpful. The technicians can give you more great advice with a 10 minute phone call than you would possibly believe. Make a list of questions, and then just fire away---have a pen handy, because the answers will come quick...

5) I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one: Trees you should not climb: Birch, Cherry, Beach, Shagbark hickory. Climb those and I can almost guarantee you will slip at some point, and it may not be a short fall. Those trees are either too slick, or the hickory is just too damn loud. The bark can also give way, and you're left free-falling 15-20 feet to the ground. Here in CT I prefer Oaks and Ashes (straightest). In Central NY, I will climb those trees, but will also quickly climb Poplars and Bass too. I find they grab better (a bit softer), and typically they lose their leaves faster, so by the time those windy days come around you're not swaying as bad. Hemlocks are OK, but you will have to deal with the pitch for weeks, and I have not found a scent-free detergent that will remove conifer goo [8D]