HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rattling Question
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 06:14 PM
RDHunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rattling Question

Here we go again , this question has been popping up on the bowhunting and deer hunting forum for weeks now.
Anyway to answer your question : if you can use real shed antlers that would be better than a bag or those harden plastic antlers they sell in the store.
As for how and when to rattle : between now and about the middle of Nov. would be the time to do a little light rattling.
You wanna try to mimick two young bucks sparring justclick the antlers together a couple of times real soft and short , about two to three minutes then wait for about twenty to thrity minutes.
Don't forget to throw in a couple of soft grunts whlie your rattling , I use a hands free grunt call when I'm rattling.
I rather rattle when I'm in my ground blind reason for this is I'll stomp the ground with foot every now and then.
Now I'm not claiming to be an expert but I help my friends call in bucks for them and they do the same for me.
When the rut gets in full swing thats when I really get into it I'll be in my ground blind while my one of my friends will be in a tree.
I start off with a couple of buck grunts followed by clashing of the bones and I even use that snort /wheeze call , its works pretty good around that time of year.
I'll rattle for five minutes using the grunt and stomping the ground trying to make it sound like an all out battle is going on then I'll stop and wait for thirty to forty minutes.
Well I hope this information answer your question and I also hope it helps you to call a buck in , good luck to you and have safe / sucessful season .