HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 400 yard trophy?
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2006, 12:46 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 400 yard trophy?

ORIGINAL: bullet_head

First, I wouldn't even fathom the thought of shooting a deer that far.
Second, what someone else already posted. If I wasn't a good enough hunter to get closer than 400 yards, I wouldn't bother hunting. Matter of fact, I'd give my guns away.

Third, I normally hunt with a 7mm and I've never had to shoot more than 75 yards in 10 years of gun hunting.

Fourth, I don't understand what the purpose of this thread is. 300 yards........I'd have to be damn confident and sure of myself and hope that God was watching over me and to make sure the wind was just right and I was more than 100% sure of my gun....get the picture?. 400 yards.....just plain retarded and unethical.

Finally, hell, even at 200 yards if a "huge" deer came out, I doubt very seriously I'd take the shot. I had a real nice 10pt walk out in front of my stand at 175 yards two years ago, and I didn't even raise my gun other than to look through the scope. Yes, I shoot at paper targets out to 300 yards but a paper target from the dollar store verses a live deer are two whole different worlds. Plus, I have a tremendous amount of respect for wildlife.

My point; anyone that shoots at a deer that far IMHO is an idiot and needs to have their hunting privileges taken away for life. Anyone that does that obviously doesn't have ANY respect for the animal, much less themselves. They don't care if they kill the animal, they don't care if it runs off wounded, they don't care if they completely miss. They are just worried about telling their buds at the local coffee shop the story. Its pathetic and I see these types of hunters all the time and they make me sick and I have no use for people like that.
bullet head, you are certain welcome to your opinions. However to make asumptions and allegationsthat those who may shoot at longer distances than you have no respect for the game in which they pursue, don't follow up on the shots they have made or attempted, reason for taking such a shot and so forth...is a idiotic and the wrongthing to say IMHO. Shooting is a skill just like stalking an animal, while it maybe on a different level to you both require patients, practice and are not accomplished by all hunters (skill). I hunt on the ground so how would you feel if I said treestand hunting is for those who can't hunt game at eye level? If you use a gun and hunt in a tree you are a poor hunter and have no business being in the woods, fields, etc!!! I don't feel this way but it would be a pretty idiotic thing for me to say based only on the fact I prefer to hunt on the ground b/c of mobility and the areas I hunt.

I said I would take the shot only after everything was checked off the list, meaning it was a calculated desicion not a "hope and prayer". I have taken game at 400 yards but far more have been shot at 200 and under. I practice at distance but when I set up on game I try to make it a chip shot vs 50 yard field goal!

I have to ask you say you practice to 300 yards but yet you wouldn't shoot to 200, why? If I am not going to use a 300 yard shot I would see no use in practicing it. My mentality of practice is to simulate hunting situations and to determine my ability to set forth standards or conditions to adhere to when I get to the field. I know I will not take a shot of 300 yards without a solid rest, b/c in practice my results were less than desirable. I haveto much respect for the sport and game to let greed or a heat of the moment desicion cloud my judgement, through practice I know my abilities and when not to pull the trigger. Some don't shoot on whims, to make noiseor hunt for others opinions or to sound/be cool. I would not beany more impressed by a guy who told me he shot his buck at400 yards than a guy who shot is at 10 steps by sneaking up on him in his bed. Congrats to both for being able to harvest their animals with skill and effiecency within their own parameters. I have seen as many misses or poor shots in close asI have at distance. Many reasons such as not picking a spot but animal shooting, inability to control emotions (buck fever, rushing the shot,etc), inexperience, poor shot selection, etc.

Any way enough rambling my point is hunt the way you hunt, voice your opinion but don't make blind assumptions based on the only way you've done it or some local coffee row doof who probably missed at 100 yards but figured it sounded better to say it was 4 hun instead![:'(]