HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Finding Wounded Deer
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Bulzeye
Nontypical Buck

Default Finding Wounded Deer

Fellow deer hunters, I am just about to finish reading the book "Finding Wounded Deer" by John Trout.

If you are not familiar with it, consider grabbing yourself a copy.
At less than $15, it's a great resource for those who persue deer with bow or gun. This book has been praised on these forums many times in the past, and now I can add my personal recommendation toit's list of advocates.

The author is very frank about the fact that not every shota huntermakes on a deercan beperfect, and that we will probably all have to face a tough tracking job if we spend enough time hunting. Instead of pretending every shot is automatically a double lung pass-through, he simply accepts the realities of hunting, and focuses on what to do when we hit somewhere other than where we intended.

He bases his advice and observations on personal experience and meticulous record keeping from the more than 450 tracking endeavors in which he has participated. He includes everything from a deer's initial reaction to being hit in different areas, to how far they may travel before bedding, how different wounds produce different bloodtrails, hair evidence, tracking, and most importantly how long to wait before taking up the trail.

I found it confirmed many things I've already heard here, but it also gave me new insights andadditional confidence that when that tough day comes, I'll be ready to do the best I can to recover any deer I hit.