HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Second bow deer they dont all come easy for Story and Pics
Old 10-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Blueheeler101

Default Second bow deer they dont all come easy for Story and Pics

Ok here's some pictures of Saturdays deer this ones a little better then Mondays deer but it was a little harder to find double lung shot sparse blood trail and two days of tracking. I put my dripper up a week ago. Saturday was the first chance I had to hunt it. Got my stand up well before light I was ticked off a little because wind was blowing pretty good on top of the mountain and it was calm down in the hollows and bottoms so I was wondering if should have gone somewhere else. About 7:30 I saw a buck walking up he never turned and look towards me so I could not tell how wide he was but I could tell he was a shooter. He stepped in one of the shooting lanes I had cleared a couple of weeks ago and stopped with his head behind a tree he paid no attention to my scrape or dripper he was just not interested yet I guess. I paused for a second to see if I was going to get a better look at his head gear but I could tell that was his last stop before moving out of my shooting lane. Fired and saw the arrow go in to his heart lung area knew I had a good shot. Took the fourweeler down and picked my brother up his bow broke so he was out of the woods already. About forty five minutes had passed so we started tracking. The blood trail was good then it stopped about 75 yards away. We picked it back up on the other side of the creek about fifty yards away then it went up the mountain bleeding better then all of a sudden nothing we circled for hours tiring to pick it up but nothing. Sunday rested from walking the mountains all day Saturday but still perplexed as to why we lost blood trail and now second-guessing myself as to my shot location. I went back to try again with my son and brother we searched for a couple of hours ten yards apart walking circles. Just when we were on our last sweep we found a deer trail heading out into a very steep and rocky area of the mountain in that trail there was one drop of dried blood about the size of a pencil eraser this was about 200yards from the last blood we had found, followed the trail finding more and more blood then the deer. He was about 700 yards from where I shot him with a double lung shot just like I thought go figure.