HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any Luck in PA?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 10:34 PM
livbucks
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any Luck in PA?

Today is Monday the 16th.
I took an evening hunt in my stand leading to the oaks. Got situated by about 4:30. Saw a flock of turkeys come directly under me and that was it. NO deer.
I talked to my Dad before I went to my stand. He hunted his honey hole stand from before sun-up to about 3:00. He said around noon that one of the biggest whitetails he has ever seen in the woods of PA snuck in on him. While he was looking down into the draw, the buck must have stepped outfromhis left. Dad turned his head and looked right into the bucks eyes, as it was looking directly at him. Lucky for Dad, the buck was far enough away that it didn't pick him out, but it was too far for a shot. After a prolonged stare down, the buck just continued on it's path in a relaxed manner and disappeared into the thick. He said it wasn't eating, wasn't smelling the ground or anything, just slowly walking very cautiously. I'm not sure what that means, or what the heck it was doing. Dad said it was looking around and listening very carefully and moving ever so slowly. He said it looked to have eight points of extreme mass but not extreme length. He said the body mass was the most inspiring part.
If Dad gets this buck, I might as well give up trying to top his achievements. I'm already WAY behind.