HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - went out pheasent hunting yesterday
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 02:32 PM
cascadedad

Default RE: went out pheasent hunting yesterday

Great call by Ian's dad!!!!!!

The number one thing is safety. Since Ian's dad is the adult, he has to take responsibility for the kids as well as the dog. One wrong move by anyone and someone could beseriously injured or dead. My oldest son is 14 y.o. now. He has been hunting for 2 years. His first year, I gave him 1 shell at a time. When he shot, I knew things were safe. He now carries his own shells but I still watch him like a hawk. He does an awesome job, but I just don't want him to make a fatal mistake.

Another thing. He KNOWS that if he is unsafe or gets careless or cocky, his gun doesn't come out for awhile. A lot of this has to do with respect and the serious nature of hunting. Even now, I don't think I would take one of his friends with us pheasant hunting. I have no idea how they have been trained in gun safety.

Another thing Travis, you have no idea if you would have made that shot. My suggestion is not to be too cocky about it, because we have all been humbled by "easy shots" many times.

Never complain when someone takes you out shooting/hunting. If you do, you probably won't be asked to go again.