HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new hunter seeking advice
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 02:47 AM
cartman308
Typical Buck

Default RE: new hunter seeking advice

Savage make EXCELLENT rifles for the price! They shoot as accuraly and more often than not will me MORE accurate than rifles costing 2 times as much. Savage makes an exellent choice for first, second or third or any rifle.

As far as caliber. 270 will be easiest to find ammo for but the 7mm-08 is also an excellent choice. It has something of a cult following. I personally prefer .30 cal bullets but the 270, and 7mm would work better for medium to larger varmints (foxes, yotes). They would cause less damage, if that is an issue. If you just want them dead....the .30 cals are better but more brutal on targets and shooters.

The smaller the caliber selected the more crutial shot placement becomes. Placement is ALWAYS important, but with marginally placed shots the .30 caliber bullets will cover a bit better. But like i said above .30cals kick harder. The .243 winchester is the smallest caliber I'd suggest for deer. Personally the smallest i'll use is the .260.

Good luck! Guns and hunting are addictions that so far no cure has been found for. Asside from death.