HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Please help a newbie
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 04:47 PM
longislandhunter
Fork Horn

Default Please help a newbie

OK so here is the deal. I have hunted gun for many years and then stopped. I have recently got the bug again and have decided to bowhunt for my first time. I live in Long Island New York and I have acquired some private land to hunt. 150 acres.

I need to know what you experienced hunters think is best for me. The land I have to hunt is basically a large grass field that measures about 600 yards wide by 400 yards deep. It then turns into hardwoods that are very thin and open. Here is the problem. I have seen a lot of prints but there is no water and very little of what I would see as food for the deer. I see the prints so I know they are there. I cant find many acorns and the field is grass. What the heck are they eating. There are some pine tree patches as well. In the woods are many man made trails and that is where I see the prints in the hardened sand. There are a few areas that are kind of swampish where water seems to pool after rain. I have not seen any rubs or scrapes but maybe that is becasue we are not in full rut. I am so dilligent, I am scent free, I stay out all day and have only seen two small does that busted me because I was hunting on the ground. Any suggestions of what to look for or where to hunt?

Thanks