HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question for warm weather hunters
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 05:20 AM
stinkbelly

Default RE: Question for warm weather hunters

I shot mine this year when it was 98 degrees. I shot it in the evening and the butcher was closed until the next day. I had it gutted and completely surrounded by ice in about 4 hours. I did have it gutted and cooled down with well water in about 2 hours. I had to keep it over night so I made a bed of ice in the truck bed. I put the deer on the ice. I then filled it up with ice. I put it on the briskit, on the neck,and between the thighs. I then put a complete layer of ice on top of the deer. After this I wrapped it with a tarp. I keep the ice in the bags so as it melts it doesn't fall off.

Once I had to keep one longer and didn't know how to quarter it out (I was young). I made a u-shape out of the tarp and put the deer in it with it's feet up. I then filled it with ice. I tied the tarp together and pulled it over the tail gate and tied it to the bumper. That kept it totally surrounded by ice. The water drained out the end of the tarp.

I hunt hot weather and usually have it on ice by 4 hours. I also shoot 99% of mine in the evening and don't have to worry about the sun.