HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My First Moose
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Northlands

Default RE: My First Moose

This was on our third trip out for moose. The guy I hunt with had shot 2 a couple of days earlier--he is a First Nations hunter. We boated around the lake and called in a few spots and then canoed up a small stream and into a small lake. As we rounded the bend into the lake there was a bull and a cow standing about 150yrds from the shore--upon a small riseand we paddled in. They were distracted with each other and we put ashore. He was semi-broadside and I put one just behind his front shoulder and out through the ribs. He ran a few yards and dropped. The other guy went for the cow, but it was gone.

We don't really have to drag it at all--we just quarter it up and bring it home---I just tag it and go--it makes for a pretty well loaded canoe. There is no formal reporting, though I do get a game survey from the gov each year.

It was intense to be paddling into shore with our eyes glued on the moose--I have never paddled so quickly, so quietly in my life. I can't wait to do it again next year.

Caribou are up next--probably in couple of months.