HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I found where they hide !
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2002, 12:11 PM
Bulzeye
Nontypical Buck

Default I found where they hide !

One of the places I hunt is a state park in N/E Illinois.
I've recently stayed relatively close to the trails because my wife was pregnant with our first child and I wanted to available to leave quickly, as you can imagine. Baby is now here and everybody is doing well.

Now, back to REAL hunting. I treated myself and got in deep where I have not explored yet, but desperately wanted to go.

I bumped 4 or 5 deer on the way in, and had one come up to me while I was getting my stand ready on the ground. I never saw him, but he was VERY close. Then about a half hour after I got up in my stand this BIG brusier of a buck comes walking by broadside at about 30 yards! "This could be my first deer, and he's huge!" I realized afterwards that I never counted his points because I immediately focused on his ribcage looking for an oportunity for everything to line up for a shot.
I waited until his head went behind a tree to draw my bow, but had to shoot quickly because of limited openings in the dense trees. I let it fly, but it knicked a tiny branch deflecting it up over his back by about a foot or so.

That would have been one heck of a first deer!

I missed, but he's still out there. The difference is now, I know where he hides.

Keep 'em all in the Bull.