HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Lab
Thread: New Lab
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 08:22 AM
BlueRidgeRetrievers

Default RE: New Lab

The puppy you buy should come from parents that have been OFAed (hips) ( www.offa.org ) and CERFed (eyes). You don't want to fall in love with a puppy/dog and have them crippled by hip problems or eye problems. It's best to find a dog out of a strong pedigree (filled with 'letters' like MH, SH, HRC, HRCH, FC, AFC, NFC, NAFC). When you've got those kind of dogs standing behind your dog you stand a better chance of having an easily trained dog yourself. Make sure the pedigree shows dogs that have also been genetically tested too (OFA/CERF) aship/eye problems are genetic problems. The market on really good dogs is pretty wide open now pricewise... Do some research and don't hesitate to drive a lil ways to pick one. You're going to have the pup for a number of years... It's worth the time to get one that will be healthy!

Pick up a good book called "10 Minute Retriever" by John and Amy Dahl. You can also find an excellent DVD (if you do better by watching things than comprehending them by reading like I do!) here- http://www.topbrass-retrievers.com/indexoct06.htm

A good dog makes hunting so much more fun! If you need any help with some of the stuff I posted orwith anything just let me know...