HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Traditional Kill ( Long Read)
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Brett/IL
Nontypical Buck

Default First Traditional Kill ( Long Read)

I got to my stand this afternoon at 3:30. It got a little warmer than I would have preferred, 77 degrees, but I still had to go. I started seeing deer at 4:30 and had them around me for the remainder of my hunt. From 4:30 on I had a constant stream of does and fawns feeding in all directions around me. I had several broadside shots at 25-30 yds., but since this is my first season with the recurve, I have imposed a strict 20 yd. limit on myself. I was perfectly content watching so many deer feed around me. There is so much you can learn by simply watching them when they are relaxed.
At about 5:45 a small doe, or so I thought, started munching on acorns heading my way. I stood slowly, got my bow off of my e-z hanger, and tried to gain my composure. As the deer closed the distance I went through my mental check list, pick a spot, anchor, follow through, etc. When the deer turned broadside at 18 yds. I eased the bow back and picked out a hair in the pocket behind the shoulder.
THWACK! somehow the arrow split the hair I was focused on. The deer lunged forward and ran towards my tree. I could see the blood flowing heavily from the entrance as the deer ran towards me. The deer bounced off of a tree right in front of me, turned, ran into the tree I was sitting in, and piled up within two feet of my climbing stick.
I had to sit down as I tried to process all that had just unfolded in front of my eyes. I had so many emotions running trough my head that it was overwhelming. As soon as I could focus I said a prayer of thanks, took a couple of pics with my phone from the stand, and climbed down.
The deer ended up being a button buck, and I can honestly say that it meant more to me to put my hands on it, than any other deer I have taken in the past 16 seasons. I have never worked so hard for anything hunting related in my life. All of those hours practicing, letting deer walk that were in easy "compound range", all of the ribbing from my buddies, it was all worth it. As I type this, with a belly full of fresh tenderloin, I am the happiest man on earth.
I will try to have my business partner take some pics in the morning. I still don't own a digital camera. Sorry for such a long read, but I am PUMPED!