HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hanging deer Q's
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 01:34 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hanging deer Q's

FYI, the rigor process which is whatDoublelung isrefering to (lactic acid turns to sugar) takes place within 24 hours post mortise. After this takes place the traditional term: Aging process place.

PersonallyI don't believe in aging venison as the process is more to do with the fat then the meat itself. Since venison is so lean I find aging pointless but believe in allowing the meat to relax and cool, so I let mine hang or fridge if to warm for a 1-2 days max now. If you want beef buy beef, personallyI like the flavor and texture of venison better than domestic.

I take it it will pretty much do the same thing if I clean it and put it in a refridgerator for a few days before freezing it? Thanks again fellas.
Brandon
Brandon in fact this meathod is actually better as it is controlled vs varying ambient temperatures of a garage or shed, like most of us use. I hang mine in the garage but only if I can maintain a temperature of 33- approx 40, if it is warmer I will let the carcass come to ambient temperature then I'll fridge it for 1day before cutting and wrapping.