HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How long do you guys hang your deer before butchering?
Old 10-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Hotburn76

Default RE: How long do you guys hang your deer before butchering?

I for the first time last year cut up my own deer and learned alot. My mistake was I hung my deer, but had heard alot of guys say you need to skin it right away. Well I can say from experience that you cant skin a deer and let it hang for three days in a cold garage. Maybe works in a butchers freezer because of more humidity I do not know but The outside of my deer was like jerky. Had to trim off about a quarter of an inch of good meat and toss. Alot of guys said to let it hang with the hide, and I wished I would have took there advice cause my friend shot a deer after mine and we let it hang with the hide and his deer skinned OK and the meat looked great. As for the temp goes I have heard that 42 to 45 is the to high number and anything colder is fine except for freezing, and then if it froze well that would just plain suck! So if my temps permit, I plan on hanging three to four days with hide on and then cutting up. Good luck!