HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer keep smelling me and leaving
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Jimmy S
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer keep smelling me and leaving

I think you have to take a step back and look at this entire picture. You have been hunting the same area for 2 weeks and you think the deer realize you're there? You should understand that those deer knew you were there after the 2nd or 3rd time. Sometimes we can give the whitetail deer too much credit, but not in this case.

A hunter can do everything that he/she feels is right and still get busted if you overhunt any area. They may not hear you, they may not see you but they sure can smell you. They knew exactly what direction you came infrom and exactly what direction you left. They knew this hours after you left by the scent you left behind as soon as they cut YOUR track.If you even touch any branches or leaves with your bare hands, you have left your scent behind. I mentioned this before, those molecules you leave are quickly picked up by the deer who's sense of smell is described as uncomprehensableto humans. A sense of smell that is 150 times better than any dog.

Some folks mentioned using rubber boots....maybe a good idea. But I'll bet most of the people that wear rubber boots use their bare hands to put them on, thus contaminating the boots right from the start. Those nasty human molecules are now on you boots. Simply wearing gloves helps tremandously. Taking a stroll in a stream to rinse your boots helps as well.

So how do we successfully hunt these animals? IMHO, to keep moving to different locations after a day ot two. Keep them guessing. I think your best odds are the first time you hunt an area. That new area can be onlya few hundred yard away. Sure deer can be shot after a week in the same stand, but it's not the deer that pass thought that area on a regular basis that know your setup. This is especially true of that big old adult buck.

Trying to stay a scent free as possibly,hunting with the wind in your favor,not using the same way to enter and exit your stand andmoving to a different location so you don't let every deer in your woods know you're there. These are my recommendations.