HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Laser Rangefinder Review
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 07:04 AM
MichaelT.

Default RE: Laser Rangefinder Review

Well, aren't I glad I bought a Nikon.LOL Actually, Yes !

I cannot say I believe that review. I believe that the Leupold was the winner before the review was ever started. Why this would be I do not know, but I felt it in the writing of the review, before the author ever got into the meat of it. Also I have to wonder if the author really checked out the Nikon 800. because he says the optics are not clear and the Nikon 800 was dark with it's 8x optics...... Well, you see, the Nikon 800 does not have 8x optics. The optics of that model are 6x21mm. And to tell the truth, I can't say I have ever seen a dark Nikon product. I have used Nikon 35mm camera equipment, I own 3 Nikon rifle scopes, and I now own a very crisp and clear Nikon 440 rangefinder. As for the rest of the review, I take it with a grain of salt. I know a lot of people on this site would disagree with the evaluation of that Nikon.

I just got my Nikon 440 via U.P.S. yesterday evening. I have never been big on bells and whistles, but I did a fair amount of research before I bought and I did take an opinion poll also. The Nikon is a quality piece of equipment and it does have clean, clear glass lenses. And I do not need a bunch of different reticles. I also do not need the incline-o-meter. The difference in range, hunting on a lease that does not have any great changes in elevation, would be very small. If I were hunting in a mountainous area, or in canyons, shooting from one ridge to another, yes I can see where it might be a benifit. But the hunting a lot of the people do would not require that feature. I got everything I need and want in a rangefinder ( and this 440 is not " dark " by any means ) for $ 190.00 delivered. Now I know I am talking about a different model than the one tested, but I also know I am not going to shoot 800 yards, so the 440 yard ranging is plenty, and should be plenty for most other people. I believe too many people try to shoot way too far now, as it is. Long range shooting takes a lot of skill, more skill than most hunters have, and I feel we owe it to the game to make the best and cleanest killing shot we can. Also, I would like to see someone buy that Leupold for $190.00. But to each his own.

But, thanks for the review. It was informative.

Good Hunting

God Bless