HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Terrible elk season so far in Montana
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 01:11 PM
MTdrahthaar
Fork Horn

Default RE: Terrible elk season so far in Montana

My whole reply to this is. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE?!?!?!? Our group of 4 has only one bull. It was the third week of the season and they are RUNNING from a cow call. I am getting into lots of sign, but they just don't want to play the game. I know some guys around are scoring here and there, from what I have heard, even one toad scoring something over 360 out of the south fork. But I am about to throw in the towel here.
I just feel bad for my friend who came clear from IA to hunt elk. I really wanted him to get a bull. He has got a couple screaming in his face that he will never forget(I love seeing that look on someone's face who has never been within bow range of a mature bull elk screaming right at you), saw a griz at 30 yards, a mountain goat, bucked a lot of brush. He drew on one bull, and I had another nice 6 coming on a string to us, but a fickle mountain breeze wrecked that. Can't say we didn't put in the ol college try. I just know what his tags costs him, wish he could have gone home with something more than memories.

Things are definitely not normal here. I have this slim hope that maybe with the weather we have had, that "magical" day when you could fart and have a bull come running in is still in the near future.