HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - So far not so good!
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 06:52 PM
nysbowhunter
Spike

Default So far not so good!

cayugad, you asked me to keep you posted on trying some loads out of my traditions thunderbolt. It doesnt like powerbelts I can tell you that much.I have shot goex 2f, Pyrodex RS, and shockeys gold 3F and I cant get a powerbelt to group at all at 50 yards. Ive tried 245 grain, 295 grain, hollow points, pointed, it doesnt matter. Its a shame because they load soeasy. Im a round ball(sidelock) shooter so Im new to this 209 stuff. I am using muzzleloadingprimers so i think im on the right track there. Should I swab between every shot? I did with black and RS. But Ive got to tell you guys you need to try some shockeys gold the stuff is awesome. I did not swab between shots with it (I wondered if it may make it shoot better) and after 12 shots with different powder volumes and powerbelts it still loaded easy! No misfires or hangfires either. I got the rifle home and let it sit in the garage for 2 hours to see if it attracted moisture, it didnt and after 2 wet patches and 2 dry patches the bore was like a mirror. I will find a load with the shockeys gold that this thing likes. I just bought some hornady 300 grain xtp's and some tc sure fire 230 grain hollow points(I have no idea what to try now) and I will keep you posted on the results. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanks D.